10 signs of S-T-R-E-S-Sby Dr. Ilona L. Tobin
Despite its bad reputation, stress isn’t actually a product of only negative things. It’s a response from your body to changes in your life. “Good” things can cause stress as frequently as “bad.” The stress created by getting a new job or the arrival of a baby can take its toll just as much as that caused by losing someone you care about or getting laid off from work. Following are 10 warning signs of stress. Simple stress reduction techniques such as meditation, deep breathing, relaxation or exercise may be able to reduce these symptoms.
- Fatigue or exhaustion that is interfering with daily activities.
- Sleeplessness or bouts of insomnia caused by a list of concerns and worries.
- Irritability or moodiness that may trigger negative responses and reactions.
- Anxiety about what the future holds.
- Depression that affects your ability to cope and weakens your spirit.
- Lack of concentration that makes it difficult to perform familiar tasks.
- Health problems such as headaches, backaches, chest pains, constipation or diarrhea, or a change in appetite.
- Anger and difficulty in controlling your temper.
- Social withdrawal from friends and activities that once brought pleasure.
- Feeling overwhelmed or out of control.
If you are experiencing several of these warning signs, or you’re unable to maintain balance, you may need help in identifying and dealing with the stressors in your life.Therapist Directory.